3.30.2010

Day One of Thirty: My Favorite Song

Day one will most likely be the hardest for me to do.

Music is my life. Seriously.

Regularly when listening to my itunes or the radio or pandora or even the music stations on Comcast, I say "OMG I LOVE THIS SONG!" This happens approximately... every single song that comes on. If i don't already have it, I jot it down, and scamper off to find it.

But as for my FAVORITE song. It would be a toss up. For the same reason, actually.

The first is "Crucify" by Tori Amos.

I was in high school when I was first introduced to her music. I INSTANTLY fell in love with her sound. With her voice. With her piano. With her strength. And I ran with it. I bought "Little Earthquakes" shortly after I found out about her. While it was my second Tori album that I bought, (the first was Boys for Pele), I immediately gravitated towards it. "Crucify" stuck out to me. In my awkward desire to fit in, I found solace in her crazy lyrics that rarely make sense.

When I was 22 I got the word "Crucify" tattooed in white ink on my wrist. I got it during a particularly terrible relationship and it reminded me that not everything was wrapped up in being someone's object. I found the strength to leave the relationship and move on. I still remember when she played this song at her concert that I went to in WPB, FL. I got goose bumps.

The second song is "Not a Pretty Girl" by Ani Difranco.

It was a little later that I learned about Ani. I was right around 20 at the time and heard it first from a girl on Livejournal. She was a quirky weird chick, and she did a guitar/vocal cover of "Untouchable Face". I'd never heard the song, so I did some research and found out about Ani. My boyfriend at the time was a HUGE music buff, and I asked him if he had any of her cd's. He did, and copied them all for me.

It was again that instant connection. The strength and power in her voice. I wanted not only to listen to her every waking moment, but I wanted to meet her. (and I still want to do this).

After I got my tattoo mentioned above, I broke up with that hot mess and shortly after I went in for another inking. This time, I chose Ani's words. "I ain't no damsel in distress" and had them inked into my lower back. (I promise I have tattoos that AREN'T words too)

I still live by this motto. I am not the type of girl that needs anyone to take care of me. I am not the type of girl to wait for someone to come along and rescue me. I just do what needs to be done. I take care of myself. Not that I can't or won't let others IN, I just know, first and foremost, that I am independent.

Maybe once I figure out how the hell to work Blogger, I will put the videos in for these songs. They are both so fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment